Obtaining Military Records and Medals - National Cemetery Administration
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

National Cemetery Administration


Obtaining Military Records and Medals

For information about obtaining military records, please visit the Military Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

Information and advice from NARA is as follows:
The preferred method of submitting a request to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) is via the Internet. In some cases using a browser other than Internet Explorer may create problems with data entry. As you know, the NPRC provides copies of documents from military personnel records to authorized requesters. The web-based application will provide better service on these requests by eliminating the mailroom processing time.

You may access this application at:

Click "Launch E Vet Records", click "Continue" and follow the prompts.

Please note: Due to the resurgence of COVID-19 infection in the local communities, the NPRC is operating at a reduced capacity. As of August 2, 2021, the NPRC has reduced its on-site staffing to 10 percent of the workforce.  While NPRC remains in this state, they will continue to service emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans trying to gain admittance to a homeless shelter.

NPRC shares to select "Emergency Request" in the drop down menu under "Which of these categories best describes why your're requesting the records?" within the Veteran Service details page (on the NPRC EVetRecs online application). 

At the end, there is a form to print and then fax or mail to the fax number or address listed.

Obtaining Replacement Medals

Replacement medals may be available from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) which is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration.

Note: Links will take you outside the VA web site.